Dr Hwang was born in the country of Taiwan and raised in New York City. He is a graduate of Binghamton Univeristy in New York State. He recieved his doctorate at Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston and completed his general surgical residency at The Stamford Hospital/Columbia University. He continued on to fellowship training in bariatric and minimally invasive surgery at the prestigous Lahey Clininc in Massachusetts.
Dr Hwang is the medical director of the Carson Tahoe Bariatric Surgery Program. He specializes in minimially invasive and robotic surgery. He is board certified through the American Board of Surgery and currently holds medical licenses in both Nevada and Massachusetts. Dr Hwang is an active member of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery and also the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons. He has multiple awards and publications in his field.
In his spare time, Dr Hwang enjoys running, softball, cooking and spending time with his family.
Research and Publications
- Hwang J, Schnelldorfer T, Brams D, Nepomnayshy D. Low Morbidity and Zero In-Hospital Mortality in 1232 Gastric Bypasses in a Teaching Hospital. Accepted for Poster Presentation at SAGES 2016 Annual Meeting (March 2016).
- Hwang J, Teppara, N, Rosenstein CC, Liu H, Babkowski R, Hall TS. A Sacral Aneurysmal Bone Cyst: Case Report and Review of the Literature. J Surg Radiol ;2012 3(1).
- Hwang J, Telem DA, Nguyen SQ, Divino CM. A Novel Laparoscopic Ventral Herniorrhaphy Training System. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 2010;20:e16-8
- Liu E, Telem DA, Hwang J, Warner RP, Dikman S, Divino CM. The clinical utility of Ki-67 in assessing tumor biology and aggressiveness in patients with appendiceal carcinoids. J Surg Oncol 2010;102:338-41.
- Telem DA, Bowman K, Hwang J, Chin EH, Nguyen SQ, Divino CM. Selective management of patients with acute biliary pancreatitis. J Gastrointest Surg 2009;13:2183-8
- Hwang J, Telem DA, Ngyuen SQ, Divino CM. Tubular carcinoid tumor: a rare cause of appendicitis. Am Surg 2009;75:518-9
- Hwang J, Neyra H, Bonheur J. The Role of Metabolic Surgery for the Treatment of Diabetes in the Non-obese Population. First Place in the Bariatric Surgery Division at the Connecticut Chapter of the American College of Surgeons Resident Paper Competition (2014)
- Hwang J, Davis DG. Acute Portal Venous Thrombosis Following Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass and Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy. First Place in the Bariatric Surgery Division at the Connecticut Chapter of the American College of Surgeons Resident Paper Competition. (2013)
- Hwang J, Dwyer K, Krinsley J. Admitting and Acquired Thrombocytopenia in Critically Ill Surgical Patients: Risk Factors and Outcomes. First Place in the Trauma and Critical Care Division at the Connecticut Chapter of American College of Surgeons Resident Paper Competition. (2011) (Also presented as poster at the Society of Critical Care Medicine Annual Meeting, 2011).